Monday, February 2, 2009

Come and gone, but forever in our hearts.

It has been the longest week of my life. Every day feels like it stretches on forever. I have been very blessed to have an amazingly wonderful and abundant support system. Thank you for all of your comments, thoughts, prayers, voicemails and visits.

In this past week time has ceased to make sense; days and nights....minutes and hours.

Tomorrow will mark one week since my daughter entered this world. It will also mark the day she left. We prayed that she be big and strong. Her daddy talked to her in the nights before her birth and asked her to be big and strong...and she did as she was told. She entered this world at 3 pounds 3 ounces and was 18 inches long. That's big. According to Baby Center she should have weighed less than two and a half pounds (some of this weight was fluid on her abdomen, but not THAT much) and should have only been about 15 inches long. My mother suggested that maybe I was further along than we thought. I know this is not the case because she was weighed and measured several times between 20 and 24 weeks and she always measured very SMALL. In fact, based on measurements from back then, the doctors thought I was actually about a week LESS further along than we thought. She fought hard and she grew big and tried to be very strong in the last month.

I'm not sure what happened exactly in the end. We didn't speak to the doctors afterwards, and even if we had I don't know that I would have remembered it. Shortly before her passing, a doctor came in and said that she was not getting enough oxygen to her organs and that were about to give out and shut down. But when the nurse called my mother she told her that Maggie's heart has simply stopped beating. As of right now, it doesn't really matter to me what happened. All I know is she is gone. She is not here with me. I cannot go to the NICU to see her. My daughter is gone.

Grief is like the ocean -- it ebbs and flows and there is the occasional tidal wave that seemingly comes from no where.

I miss my daughter.

I miss the weight of her body in my hands. I miss the smell of her skin. I miss the feeling of my lips pressed against her forehead. Her perfect bow lips and her tiny monkey toes. I miss my daughter and I would do anything to have her back for only a minute. I would do anything to be able to look into her eyes and tell her that I love her.

I will never know what her eyes looked like. I will never see her smile...hear her laugh. I will never feel her tiny hand wrapped tightly around my finger. Never put a band-aid on a boo boo. Teach her to ride a bike. There will be no dress up. No tea parties. No ballet recitals. No hugs when her heart has been broken. No tears at her wedding.

I miss my daughter.

This is not the way it should be. Twenty-three year old women should not have to decide burial or cremation for their child. Babies are not supposed to die. Women with abusive boyfriends and prostitutes with drug problems have healthy babies. Why not me?

God has a plan. He knows what is best. He would never give me a burden I cannot bear. He would never give me too much. He would never leave me alone to deal with this. I know this. I know He is in control. But it doesn't make it hurt less.

I miss my daughter.

Many of you have asked about a service for her. The answer is -- I do not know. The funeral home called this morning to let us know that her cremation will be taking place on Wednesday. I wanted so badly to have her body donated to medicine...for some worldly greater good to come from this. All of the organizations said she was too young and too small. This hurt me deeply. They did not want my daughter. It was like she was picked last for kickball. Like she didn't get an invitation to her friend's birthday party. Like no one put any cards in her homemade shoebox card holder in her class on Valentine's Day. It made me want to hold her even tighter and never let go. I wanted her.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelli and family,
Your beautiful little Magdalyn was a precious gift from the Lord! May you cherish every minute you got with her. You and your family are in our prayers! "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11. You are a beautiful woman of God....he will carry you through this storm and bless you.

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. I am writing with tears streaming down my face. Your daughter was a blessed girl to have you as a mother. Your strength and compassion have been present in every update I've read. We shared the same due date and my heart is truly aching for you right now. You will be in my thoughts and prayers constantly.

Amy

Brittany said...

I have been following you for a while now and I have prayed for your little one. I read this post and tears were pouring from my eyes. I am so sorry for your loss and I will continue to pray for you and your family. God will help you through this hard time.

Anonymous said...

My heart aches for you and your husband. No parent should have to make these decisions for their child.

My thoughts are with you and your families at this time.

Anonymous said...

Oh Kelli. I am so sorry. I don't have any words that would ease your pain. I just don't know what to say. Please know that I have been thinking of your family and praying for you all.
God needed a perfect angel and that is why he chose yours.
Please go on the loss boards at BBC when you feel up to it. I know some of the ladies there and they will be able to help you some.
I am so, so very sorry.
I will keep you and yours in my prayers.
Debbie aka nathansmom

Shannon Kilstrom Photography said...

I have been following your blog for awhile now (I first heard your story on the April 09 birth board) and felt compelled to leave a comment today. God Bless you and your sweet baby girl. I too have tears streaming down my face as I sit here. I cannot begin to imagine your grief and your immense pain. I continue to pray for you and your family as you continue with such sadness in your hearts.

Stacy D said...

Kelli,

I am still praying for you. Everything you have said is to true... grief is like an ocean, time doesn't make sense, and you miss everything about your sweet girl.

This Saturday will mark 4 months since Isaac was born, and 4 months since he passed. I still miss him so much my heart literally aches.

Right now, no words can make it better. Please just know there's another grieving mama praying for you...that the God of all comfort would just be very present and real to you as you start to adjust to this "new normal."

~ Stacy

Anonymous said...

Kelli,

I'm extremely sorry for the lose of Maggie! and i know you've heard this plenty times before but she's in a better place. She is a beautiful blessing. God had you carry her because he knew you were strong enough too! You are always in everyones prayers and i hope you know that we are ALL here for you! I know you dont know me very well but if you ever need someone to talk to im here for you! I really hope to see you soon!

Love always,
Samantha

AJ said...

Kelli, I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine what you are going through at the moment. I've been reading your blog on a regular basis through this ordeal, and I want you to know that you are one of the strongest, most grace-filled women that I know. Please take care of yourself in the days and weeks to come. If you need anything at all, Chris and I are here, even if it's just some time away. You are always welcome in our home.

You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. No parent should ever have to go through what you are going through. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong. She was a very lucky girl to have you as her mother.

Amanda Towne said...

Hi Kelli,
I know your sister Fran from the FIAR boards.
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know that I'm a complete stranger, but 13 years ago, when I was 21, my daughter Abigail was born at 32 weeks, and lived for only 2 hours. If you want to talk to a mom who has travelled this road & lived to tell about it, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Sincerely,
Amanda