Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Homestretch

I went to see Dr. Tabor on Monday. The news was not good and he didn't say much. In fact, after only a few minutes he left to call Dr. Roten (pediatric cardiologist/ surgeon). We are now trying to "buy some time". He gave me a series of two steroid shots to hopefully help her lungs develop faster. He has also put me on Albuterol every 8 hours to hopefully speed up her heart. Her heart was previously pumping fast enough to keep up with fluid, however now that she's bigger it's not enough. The medicine makes my heart race, I can't breathe and it makes me flushed and shaky. However, I'm reminding myself that it is for a good cause and that anything is worth a shot. I managed to get about 3.5 hours of sleep last night before I woke up with panic attack-like symptoms from not being able to breathe. No fun.

It's looking like the end of the tunnel isn't that far away afterall. I half expected him to send me in for a c-section this past Monday. I have another appointment tomorrow where I suspect he will take measurements and maybe even set me up with a section date for next week. I'll be getting a bag ready today to take to each appointment now since we never know when it's gonna be.

In closing, pray pray pray! It looks like she'll be here even sooner than we thought. I'll write again tomorrow if I can, and if not I'll have a family member try to update as soon as possible.

love to you all--
Kelli

4 comments:

airforcewife0405@gmail.com said...

wow, We are still praying and will be until she makes it home! I read this little blurb and it sounded very encouraging...good luck and Enjoy the end of your pregnancy! ~Nicole

What about babies born at 28 to 31 weeks' gestation?

These babies look quite similar to babies born earlier, although they are larger (usually between 2 and 4 pounds) and even more likely to survive (about 90 to 95 percent).2

Most require treatment with oxygen, surfactant, and mechanical assistance to help them breathe. Some of these babies can be fed breast milk or formula through a tube placed through their nose or mouth into the stomach, although others will need to be fed intravenously.

Some of these babies can cry. They can move more, although their movements may be jerky. A baby born at this time can grasp your finger. These babies can open their eyes, and they begin to stay awake and alert for short periods.

Babies born at 28 to 31 weeks are at risk for medical complications. However, when complications occur, they may not be as severe as in babies born earlier. Babies born with very low birthweight (less than 3 pounds, 4 ounces) remain at risk for serious disabilities.

DelawareMomto3 said...

Kelli-
You do not know who I am personally, but I am a mommy on your April Babycenter board. I wanted you to know that you and your sweet Maggie are in my thoughts and prayers. I know that this is an exciting, scary and worrysome time, but I pray that God will give you that wonderful peace that passes understanding. Again you are in my prayers.

Sarah Suzy said...

I don't remember exactly how I found your blog, I think it was through babycenter. I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you and Magdalyn. May the lord give you strength and peace in the coming days. May you feel his arms around you as you walk through this uncertain time.

I don't mean to butt in since I don't really know you, but I wanted to let you know about an organization called Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep..
http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/
they provide photography at birth and after for babies with poor prenatal diagnosis. They will come to the hospital and take pictures for you in case the worst happens after Magdalyns birth. They do beautiful work and at no charge to you. Also there is an organization called String of Pearls
http://stringofpearlsonline.org/
that offers resources and support to families with babies with poor prenatal diagnosis. I wanted to give you this information even though I of course will be praying for Magdalyn to be healed.

praying for you in the coming days.
Sarah J.

Anonymous said...

To the both of you: Hang in there, darlings. You're doing so great.

I know this buisness (say it like Strongbad) is no fun. You can call me at whatever time you want! I'll read you Lamb or something, hehe.

Love you