Monday, June 15, 2009

Hitting a brick wall at 70 mph.

I want so badly to write, but I don't know what to say.

I'm currently reading Waiting with Gabriel. It's a story written by the mother of a baby boy who was diagnosed with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, and his parents being forced to chose between endless surgeries or "comfort care" that would result in his passing a few days after being born. I've only read 29 pages so far yet they seem like a memory of mine, pulled out and written on paper.

Magdalyn's diagnosis was even more severe than Gabriel's. Hypoplastic right heart with pulmonary stenosis and dextrocardia. They never did an autopsy, so we can't say for sure if anything else might have been wrong or how severe the heart block was.

I can't imagine the pain the might have endured if she had lived longer. If given the choice, which would I have chosen? As it is, her very very brief time on this earth was spent in surgery. We were told she would die almost immediately if she did not have the pacemaker put in. She would not survive. This was her only chance. She died an hour after surgery.

It's strange the things I remember; these tiny memories so strong that they bring me to tears and leave me teetering on the edge of losing it.

We were in our room waiting to be told that we could go see her. The doctor came in and told us that we needed to go now, or we might be too late. We were waiting to get clearance to move me, since I had just been more or less severed in two, and I was not supposed to be in a sitting position for another six hours. My nurse walked in and said she wasn't waiting anymore. I don't remember getting from the bed to the chair. I just remember that my nurse was pushing the wheelchair so fast that I felt like she was almost running. I was not upset. I was excited. I was about to see my baby girl for the first time. When she was born they rushed her off so quickly that I never got to see her.

I never saw my baby alive.

When we entered the NICU I saw the team of doctors, there were nine or ten of them around her. Just standing. Then I heard it. The sound of a flat line on a heart monitor. You hear this sound all the time on TV and in movies. It is now in my head as the worst sound in the entire world. The worst sound of my life. The sound of the end of her life. I wasn't told by a doctor while I was in a waiting room. I wasn't standing around, pacing back and forth. I was trapped in a wheelchair and the sound of that flat line was like being in a car and hitting a brick wall at 70 mph.

Surely there were other babies in the NICU, but I don't remember seeing any baby in that room but my daughter. There must have been nurses and parents, but I don't remember them.

My baby is in heaven. She is with God. She is not in pain. I try to take comfort in this. But some times, some days, I just want my baby to be here with me. And today, today is one of those days.

9 comments:

Fran said...

My sweet sister,

My heart aches for you. I hope that you do not think me insensitive after our conversation yesterday. I certainly didn't mean to sound that way. I think many of us forget the grief you are still dealing with because to the outside world you seem to be doing so well. No one will feel the loss of Maggie as deeply as you do. The rest of the world will move forward, but part of you will always be gone--a reminder that something--someone, is missing. I know you trust that Jesus is taking very good care of your sweet baby girl, but it is normal to want her here with you. Don't feel any guilt in that. The Lord made us as women to have children and long to care for them. You are feeling what you should be feeling as a woman and a mother.

I love you dear sister and do want to be here to listen to your heart. Sometimes you just need to remind me to LISTEN and not talk so much.

Kisses!!
Fran

~Cynthia Griffin~ said...

I have been patiently waiting to read another one of your posts. I Have been following it ever since I saw the posting a few months ago. I cannot relate to what you are feeling but I feel pain when I read your words. You are such a strong women to have survived something like that and write about it for us all to read. I look up to you for that and Hope that God may bless you!

Rebecca Fleming said...

Your baby is with you... obviously not the way you had hoped for, but she is with you. She must be so proud of her mama. Even with your grief you seem to be handling this with remarkable strength and grace.

I can not imagine the pain and hurt you must be going through...everytime I sign into the April 09 birth board I think of you and Maggie.

I know there is NO other acceptable place for a baby other then mommy's arms. There isn't. No matter how strong your faith is... babies belong in the arms of their mothers. I am so very sorry that didn't happen for you and Maggie. My heart just breaks for you. She is, I am sure, such a beautiful angel in heaven with beautiful shiny wings. I just know she watches you and loves on you and is patiently waiting for your arrival. A far cry from the way it is supposed to be, but I hope it gives you some peace.

Again... Maggie hasn't been forgotten. My prayers are with you!

Mark and Susan said...

It is so strange that you have posted. I have never left you a comment, but I have followed your blog through your pregnancy and birth of your precious baby. I was also pregnant. My baby was born with heart problems. We have been through one surgery with two more to go. www.carepages.com/carepages/babybedwell if you're interested in the whole story. The reason I was thinking about you so much this week is because I saw a friend this week in the grocery store. She too lost her baby soon after birth. I felt so many emotions when I ran into her, but through reading your post, I knew what to say or rather what not to say. You have been so strong!! You have really inspired me!! You made me know to be happy, not sad and upset when my baby was in the NICU for so long. God Bless You!!

Lacey said...

Kelli,

Please know that neither you nor Maggie have been forgotten. I think of you and her everyday. I don't say that to say that; I say that because you truly pass in my thoughts on a daily basis.

No one is ever going to know what you are going through, the emotions you are dealing with or the grief you feel. Please know that there are many people out there that love you and are praying for your daily strenghth and guidance.

I will tell you that our church recently purchased new hymnals and to offset the cost people were allowed to purchase a hymnal in memory or in honor of. I bought one in memory of Maggie. Not that it is much, but it keeps her memory alive to those that use the hymnal and also to those in my church family that prayed so hard for you and your family. She will always be remembered.

The days will pass and you will hurt and I am sure that will never go away - but Maggie is a beautiful Angel in Heaven waiting on you.

With love,
Lacey

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that I am still thinking of you. Still praying for you. ~ Debbie

Mary said...

Kelli, I came upon your blog through the facebook post on the discussion thread Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness.

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet daughter Maggie. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Sarah Suzy said...

thinking of you.

Jen said...

Kelli~

Just checking to say hello and let you know that I still think of you often. I have your blog postmarked and check to see if there are any updates from you. Please know that your precious Maggie has touched many lives, and continues to touch mine each time I turn on my computer.

Love and prayers to you,
Jen